Practice Areas

Civil Litigation: Civil litigation is all non-criminal litigation.  The attorneys at Eiden and Hatfield have a combined 50 years of experience in civil litigation, including experience in:

  • Insurance Defense: Insurance defense includes the representation of insureds in defense of lawsuits arising out of an accident or occurrence covered under the insured’s policy and pursuant to the insurer’s duty to defend.  In addition to representing insureds, our office provides coverage opinions, defends coverage opinions and policy analysis.
  • No-fault Insurance: Minnesota law provides basic economic benefits to an individual injured during the maintenance or use of a motor vehicle, regardless of fault.  These benefits include but are not limited to medical expenses, transportation expenses and wage loss. Our office has extensive experience on defending No-fault claims through arbitration and litigation.
  • Personal Injury: Personal injury is litigation that revolves around an injury to a person.  It is important to contact an attorney in regards to an injury to determine if there is a claim and so make sure that claim is brought within a statutorily designated time period.  A few examples of personal injury claims include automobile accidents, slip and falls and defective products.
  • Worker’s Compensation: Worker’s compensation is a form of insurance that provides benefits to individuals injured during the course of employment.  Through the years, our office has represented both employees and employers on worker’s compensation claims.

Civil Mediation: Civil mediation provides an alternative to resolving disputes without a trial.  A mediator is utilized to provide a neutral viewpoint for the parties involved in order to find an acceptable outcome.  With more than 40 years of combined experience, Tim Eiden and Karen Hatfield are both able to provide the necessary listening skills and insight to help resolve even the most complex cases.

Real Estate: Our real estate team handles real estate related legal issues, including transfers of titles and deeds, construction, mortgage concerns, and zoning. Provides legal advice to organizations and individuals, prepares resolutions and forms, and participates in legal actions. Our real estate services also include assistance with landlord/tenant disputes.  If you have a question about a real estate/property matter and you wonder if E & H can be of assistance, please call Jennifer at (651) 583-7872.

Estate Planning: Estate planning allows for an individual to arrange for the disposal of their estate upon their death.  Through estate planning an individual can assure what will happen to their estate and helps eliminate uncertainties over the administration of your estate.  If you are interested in scheduling a free consultation, please contact our office at (715) 953-4870.   In preparation for your initial consultation,  our Estate Planning Questionnaire is available in PDF format online.

In the event you have reservations about starting the estate planning process, see below for answers to many of the most common estate planning questions:

  1. What is a will? A written document that allows you to designate who will receive your property, raise your children and act as your personal representative after you die.
  2. When should I write a will? If you reach a time in your life when you have minor children or assets that you care who receives them, it’s time to write a will.
  3. What if I die without a will? The court will appoint a personal representative who will distribute your estate according to the laws of inheritance.  If you have minor children, the court will name a guardian to care for your children.
  4. What types of property pass to your beneficiaries outside of a will? Survivorship marital property, jointly owned property, life insurance proceeds, funds in IRAs and other retirement plans, Transfer on Death assets and accounts and Payable on Death assets and accounts all pass to your beneficiaries outside of a will.
  5. What is a durable power of attorney? A durable power of attorney authorizes an individual to act for you in financial matters.  The individual’s rights to act on your behalf will be outlined in your durable power of attorney.  A durable power of attorney can take effect immediately or it may take effect upon the occurrence of a future event.
  6. What is a durable power of attorney for health care? A durable power of attorney for health care authorizes an individual to make health care decisions for you when you are unable to make them.
  7. What is a revocable living trust? A trust is a written agreement that authorizes someone to be responsible for managing property for the benefit of others.  A revocable living  trust is created when you are alive and as long as you are mentally competent, you can change or end the trust.
  8. What can a revocable living trust do? A revocable living trust provides financial management for your property, provides property management if you can’t manage your affairs, avoid probate, shorten or eliminate delays in distributing your property to beneficiaries and provides for minor children when you die.
  9. What can’t a revocable living trust do? A revocable living trust cannot save you income tax, reduce estate and other death taxes, eliminate costs associated with probate, protect against creditor’s claims after you die, eliminate the need for a will, eliminate the need for a durable power of attorney or avoid nursing home costs.
  10. How and when do I fund a revocable living trust? A revocable living trust can be funded or unfunded.  If you do not place any assets into the trust, it remains unfunded until you add to it.  An individual can add property to a trust as he or she sees fit.  Once there is substantial property added to the trust, it becomes funded and then the trustee must perform his duties.  A common way to fun your trust is being using a pour-over will, which funds the trust only after you die.